CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Grateful Sunday

Today it was very easy to know what I wanted to write about. We received a small miracle today.
Let me start by saying that church has been hard for me lately. It's not that I don't want to go or that my feelings of the church have changed- they haven't at all. It's just that most Sundays I have a really hard time being motivated and excited to go. This is why: It falls right at Abi's naptime which equals a very grumpy kid. Every sacrament meeting we end up fighting Abi the ENTIRE time. The crazy thing about this is that while Abi is a high energy little girl she is also a really good little girl. I very rarely have any problems with her in public. So anyway, we have to pack a church bag full of books, coloring items, toys, and snacks and this still doesn't help. It has got worst lately. So, the point of this is that I never get anything out of Sacrament meeting because I can never pay attention to what is going on.
Then as soon as that meeting is over, I go into Nursery for the next two hours. I love kids- well, I will be perfectly honest and say I love most kids- but sometimes when your life is full of spending every day with a two year old and teaching preschool for your side business it is hard to have your calling in church be with kids as well. So, basically I go to church every week with a tired child and have so much added stress that 3 hours that I don't need and don't get anything out of it. This is my usual experience.
That said, you should get a feel for what I was gearing up for this afternoon as we drove the 20 minutes to the church building. This is where the miracle comes in:
We sat in our seats. I held Abi for a minute while we sang a song and then she wanted to be in her own seat. I hand her a lemon tootsie roll. She eats it. She asks for more. Instead I give her a Lift the Flap Book of Mormon Stories book. She then gets down on the floor putting her book *quietly* back on her chair and spends the next few minutes looking through that book. When she is done with it, she notices Daddy highlighting a conference talk he is looking at and she walks over to him and asks to use it. She draws with the highlighter for a few minutes. I then give her a color wonder book and she sits back next to me and colors. I then give her the I can Be Reverant book and she spends a while looking at it. Then she plays with her little church doll (an old fashioned cloth and lace thing with no face) I then give her the last tootsie roll. She eats it. She asks for more. Instead I give her a Hello Kitty notebook and pen and she draws until the final song begins. She stands up on her chair and says "He has a baton like Leo!" (a Little Einsteins reference) and then sits on my lap for the rest of the song.
There it is. That was like a little miracle- really a huge blessing that reminded me of why I still go even though I find it difficult right now. I felt like Heavenly Father was helping me by giving me one hour where I actually got to listen to some really touching talks. I GOT something out of church today and it was something I needed.
I am so grateful.
*We won't dwell on the 'walk' we went on in nursery where Abi took off and fell off the curb and scraped up her leg real bad*

2 comments:

Kristina P.

I struggle with motivation and church, and we don't even have kids. We went to 1:30 while our building is under construction, and man is that time hard. I thought it would be better than 9 AM, but it's late, and there's a ton of time to sit around and putter before having to get ready, so by the time comes that we need to get ready, I don't want to.

We do it, but it's not easy.

Oh, and Adam said he definitely remembers you, but is trying to convince me he didn't karate kick the door. Hahaha, it's totally something he would do.

He actually taught karate for several years, and was teaching when I met him.

Danandsteph.blogspot.com

Hey Cheryl... I think this is something that many people struggle with...I know we did too. I can promise you though, that if you keep going it WILL get easier! This last Sunday a lady in our ward that has 2 young children came into the meeting and almost started crying when she saw the bench in front of us open. She looked at us and told us that she had been praying all morning that when she came in that a bench in front or behind us would be open so we could help her because her husband was at National Gaurd duty. McKenna has such a way with young kids and took over. We have always tried to do that... to help those sitting around us with younger kids especially if the mom is alone (ie.. dad is in the bishopbric or something.) I take treats and toys in my bag still just so we are prepared. Someday when Abi is all grown up remember this time in your life and help those around you. If you make a commitment to do it now...I am sure our Father In Heaven will bless you with many more "Sunday Miracles"!!!! Also... pray to be released from your calling! I remember that feeling as well! How long have you been in there? If it has been over a year I would talk to your bishopbric about it, and explain that you really need a break! I love you! Hang in there!