CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, October 30, 2011

Trick or Treating

Our town is weird and does trick or treating on Sunday afternoon no matter what day Halloween is on. The only exception since we have lived here was two years ago when it was on Saturday and they switched it just for that year. 
I wasn't sure if we were going to go out this year. We usually don't. But Abi has made some friends around here now because of school and riding the bus and she really wanted to go trick or treating with them.
I decided that since she was not sick that I would take her out while Doug stayed with Maddy to pass out candy. 
I asked Abi what costume she wanted to wear this time. She said unicorn. I reminded her that we had got the cat costume because I couldn't find a cute hoodie set to make a purple unicorn with. She said that was okay. She would just wear her new purple coat and gloves and all I would need to do was make a horn. 
I decided to give it a go.
I told her to wait a minute and went into my closet to see what I could find. 
She came in a moment later with her unicorn pillow pet and told me I could use it for "inspiration". 
She had told me to make a gold horn so I made a cone shape out of gold cardstock. But then she wanted a pink one. I got pink ribbon and wrapped it around the cardstock. It didn't even cover the whole thing. I didn't know how I would attach it. I decided to use a hole puncher to make two holes on the bottom of it. Then I put a piece of white ribbon through the holes and then wrapped it around her head and tied it on her ponytail. 
It worked. 
She put on some pajamas pants and a tee shirt, her Hello Kitty boots, and the aforementioned coat and gloves and I attached the horn.
It was the silliest costume ever. 
But she loved it.
Every time I looked at that horn I would try not to giggle. I think it looks like a giant ice cream cone coming off her forehead.
In this picture you can see how the ribbon is tied around her ponytail.
Her hood of her coat started out up but it was majorly windy and it wouldn't stay there.
She quickly found one of her best friends, Emma, and had to trick or treat with her.
Emma is in first grade but they play at recess everyday and ride the bus together sometimes. 
It was cold. It started to rain a little on us so we quickly went home. She got quite the haul....

As silly as it was I am so glad that I can make a cardstock/ribbon unicorn horn that looks like an ice cream cone and she will be thrilled. She is such a sweetheart.

8 comments:

Holly

So funny! To me the horn kind of looks like a cotton candy stick with most of the cotton candy gone. But I don't say that to make fun. It is immensely better than anything I would have come up with. You are such a nice mom too. I would have told Emma she had to wear something that was already ready to go.

And I love Emma! She was in my Emma's class last year. They both had to add their last name initial to their name so the kids could keep them straight. So I know her as Emma B. And she knows me as Emma M's mom. She's a doll. Abi is lucky to know her.

Seth and Julie

Ha,ha! The unicorn horn us a riot! You are so nice to make her something new to wear. She got to be lots of things this year. Lucky girl!

LeShel

Love the Unicorn horn. PERFECT! She looks adorable. I can't believe how cold it was last night. I was shivering just watching people outside. Glad you had a good warm coat for her and the perfect costume!

BreeAnn

wow they give big candy bars out a lot there. That is nice!

Jen

I found it odd, too, how Sunday was the designated trick-or-treating day and during the day, too. It really took the fun out of it.

The Royals

So cute! It definitely looks like an ice cream cone. I love making costumes for my kids, even if they don't turn out. They still love them.

The Kings

You can tell she is so proud...but yes, if you ever need to make a unicorn horn that looks like an Ice Cream cone...you know you can do it!!

Jamie

So cute. It is so nice when they are little and easy to please!