CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, October 3, 2011

Homemade uncrustables and Butterfingers

I took some time yesterday to replenish my homemade Uncrustables supply and to try a new recipe for homemade Butterfingers.
I love making the sandwiches because even though it is not very hard or time consuming to make a simple peanut butter sandwich, it really simplifies things to be able to just grab a frozen one each day and throw it in Abi's lunch as well as take one out for Maddy. 
But the store bought ones are so expensive for what you are getting. When we were in Utah Doug's mom showed me her sandwich tool and later sent it to me.... it is from Pampered Chef and makes the sandwiches look just like Uncrustables.
First I lay out all the bread and put a layer of peanut butter on each side. One side has a little more on it... the other side is just a thin layer to keep the jelly from leaking.
Then you put the sandwiches together and use the tool to seal them and make them cute.
Then I pile them in an old Uncrustables box in the freezer. They look just like them but this is so much cheaper and with two loaves of bread I make 24.
So for the Butterfingers I was a little hesitant. This recipe calls for a 16oz. jar of creamy peanut butter, a bag of chocolate chips and a bag of candy corn. I do not like candy corn so I had a hard time believing that it could taste like a butterfinger. 
First you melt the candy corn in the microwave and then mix it with the peanut butter. Then you put it in a pan lined with parchment paper to cool. I put it in the fridge as recommended on the recipe to make it cool down quicker. When it was completely cool I was able to just take out the parchment paper which made it so easy to cut into squares.
Then I melted the chocolate chips and dipped each square in it. Then I let that cool, in the fridge as well. This is what they look like.

and yes, they DO taste just like a Butterfinger!

3 comments:

The Kings

Hmmmm....looks yummy! The snadwiches and the Butterfingers!

The Royals

I might try making those butterfingers. We all love them at our house!

Seth and Julie

I make Uncrustables too but my kids hate PB&J. Isn't that sad? I sneak one in their lunch about once a month and then get the reminder when they get home that they don't like it. I love PB&J so I don't get it! I don't like Butterfingers though but I am completely intrigued now. How funny that melted candy corn and peanut butter would be the perfect copycat. Bizarre!