CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Blog challenge day 3

What makes you different from everybody else?

I could answer this easier with what makes me the same as everyone else... it would be a shorter answer. 
Honestly, it is a trick question.
All of us are different from everyone else. I believe everyone is very unique. But....I do think there is a commonality to most people particular to their religion, sex, where they live, etc. That said, 
I have always felt like I was very different. 
I've always felt like I think differently and look at things differently than most people.
I sometimes think of my mind like a kaleidoscope....

When others may look at something and see one thing, one sure thing in black or white, I see a menagerie of colors and images and ideas.
At the risk of being cheesy I am going to mention Twilight. The first time I read it I really related to the fact that the main character felt like her mind was so different from those around her. Of course you later find out that it is and she has the cool shield she can place out around her. I wonder if I have that? Okay, joking, but when I read that I thought, "That's how I feel."
I always have looked around me at what everyone else was doing and talking about and wondered why it was so different from what I cared about. 
I find that I sometimes have a really hard time relating to girls. While my closest friends as a teenager were girls, the majority of my friends were boys. This has stayed true my entire life. I could hang out at the house Doug lived in when we were dating with all the boys and be totally comfortable and outgoing but get me in a room of girls and I shut off and don't know what to talk about. 
When Doug and I were first married and living in his brothers basement I did not make one connection in our ward. I would go to things and not be interested in anything the girls were doing/ talking about. I just didn't care about that stuff.
Since having children there has been an entirely new side of me that has emerged- the crafty girly girl. I now do love crafts and sewing and doing cutesy things that I wouldn't have cared about six years ago... but I still feel that wall. 
While I can appreciate a cute purse or shoes or jewelry, I don't care about them. I would never spend money on any of those things when I could go get tons of books for the same price.
I don't care that my husband plays video games all the time and actually am so thankful that his hobby is one that keeps him at home with us and doesn't involve sports or killing things. 
I don't understand when girls don't 'allow' their husbands to play games (if you are one of them... please don't get offended. This is just my opinion and you have many more on your side!) because I would be really mad if Doug told me I couldn't do something I loved. 
I have major authority issues. "Don't tell me what to do" is my  phrase.
There are also many social issues that I don't necessarily see the same way as many of my peers. I won't go into those here now. 

I am a 33 year old woman (almost 34!) but I love steam punk and young adult fantasy novels while loathing adult romances. I love a good action flick while hating most romantic comedies. 
I do enjoy Black Friday shopping, shopping at toy stores and book stores, but for the most part I hate shopping. 
I drive the speed limit.
I love going to movies by myself. I haven't done it in a while... I think I'm due.
I love nothing more than cuddling up with a good book. 
I don't care if my kids watch tv. We do have a new system that keeps it to a minimum but that's just so that Abi earns the privilege through chores (more on that in another post) and not because I don't want her watching it. I like tv, Doug likes tv, our kids are smart and creative- so why not?

This feels like a confession post which isn't really what it was supposed to be but I guess these are all reasons I walk around on a daily basis wondering why I think differently than everyone around me. 
I guess I am glad that I am different. I have never wanted to be like everybody else. But sometimes I see something in someone else and wish I had that quality or thought about things like that. 
So there you go.

Although I think I'm so different,  I'm probably more like you than I think!

7 comments:

Cannegieter

Love you for who you are!! I think you are amazing!

Cheryl

Lora- you're the best. Right back at ya.

Seth and Julie

I think we all feel this way more than you think. I relate to much of what you are saying, and I have personally never really trusted girls. Isn't that awful? That is why you can find me hanging out watching the game with the boys. I don't like to shop either, unless it is for books or for my kids. I am sure I am one of the snarky anti-video game people you are talking about, and I am sure I have come off as judgemental on occasion, but just because I don't like them I would allow Seth to play if he had any interest. Everyone is entitled to a hobby and I don't actually like that Seth hunts either, but I get that he comes form a different world than I do and I can be tolerant of that. I don't love it, but like you said, how would I like it if he said I wasn't allowed to read or blog? Anyhow, I like who you are and that you are honest enough to just own who you are and I like that you are confident enough to go to the movies alone. I wish I could get to that point.

Cheryl

Julie- I think you are right. I think most of us probably walk around feeling different.
It is bad that we don't trust girls. It's unfortunate but girls can just be so mean. I know when I'm hanging out with guys I can just be myself and not worry but with a lot of girls I wonder if I am being judged. It's like the other day I was watching one of my guilty pleasures online-the bachelor- and three of the girls had bikini photo shoots. I noticed the comments from girls watching and they were so mean. They were calling out one girl saying how fat she was when in reality she was quite skinny. She just wasn't as skinny as the other two. One person commented that she wanted to see pictures of all these people being so negative in bikinis right then. I thought, why is it that girls have to tear each other down like that? It's crazy. I think most guys would have been talking about how hot she was.
Oh and I haven't thought of you as judgemental on video games. I know you and many of the other girls out here don't like video games but you weren't who I was thinking of. I've just known a bunch of friends that married girls that made them stop playing. I do understand it when a guy gets so into a game that it affects his real life though.
I've been worried with the day one and today hoping I'm not putting too much about myself out there. I debated deleting it and starting over with watered down versions... but decided to just go with it.
Going to the movies alone is fun. You should try it. You can pick out what you want to go to, where you sit, you don't have to worry about if anyone else is enjoying it.. etc. I haven't done it in years though so I think I will again soon. As soon as something comes out I want to see.

Donna

I love going to the movies by myself! I haven't done it in awhile but I'm planning on taking myself out for a movie date in the next few weeks. And I too so enjoy curling up with a good book.

Seth and Julie

Oh please don't water down your answers. I get so bored with watered down blogs. I appreciate honesty and candor.

The Kings

You are number 1! I love you for who you are and what you are! The only time I didn't like the "don't tell me what to do" attitude was during your rebellious years in Jr. High and sometimes when dating certain boys! Your originality and personality keep you from being a "cookie-cutter" girl. I love my little girl and friend!