CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, February 25, 2011

Blog Challenge Day 11

Picture of your high school friends that meant the most to you:

 I've mentioned many times how much I loved high school. Alta was such a fun place and I will always look back fondly at my high school, my hometown Sandy, Utah, and all the friends I had there.
I had a lot of fun looking through my high school yearbook trying to decide which pictures to scan but worried about whether I was adding too many or not.
So, I have eliminated some pictures and tried to keep the ones that were my best friends and most influential friends throughout those three years.


These pictures are from my scrapbooks so most will have borders and other pictures with them. Also, they are in very random order.
First up: 
Right before my sophomore year we moved into a new house (still in Sandy) and I was now on the border of boundaries between Brighton and Alta. I decided on Alta High School so I could get away from my junior high friends and start over somewhere that people wouldn't have pre-conceived notions of who I was. I knew no one. 
I was scared but it turned out to be such a good thing. 
That year some of the most important people were Shannon and Steve. Shannon was one of my best friends for many years. She was in my new ward and was one of my two friends that got me going to early morning seminary which really helped me a lot to get back on track.
Steve was my first boyfriend my parents approved of. He was a great guy and one of the few people I have actually seen a few times since high school since he lives in Chicago and runs the Reptile Fest every year.
Ryan J. (Shannon's date) was also a good friend.

Ryan N. (in blue shirt) and Rusty: Ryan was older than me and since my older brother was on a mission at the time he kind of took on an older brother role. My mom loved him. She even wrote to him on his mission more than I did! 
I worked for Rusty's mom a few hours a week in their home and got to know him better that way. He was funny and fun loving and just fun to be around.
This is another picture of Shannon. This was Halloween sophomore year and it is one of my favorite pictures. We had so much fun that night. I was a blade of grass. The red spot is a ladybug.
LORA! You may remember my post about my favorite cousin. Lora and I were together all the time. Along with my friend Jenny we were inseparable. The funny thing was that none of us went to the same school. Lora went to Payson High and Jenny went to Brighton. 
Lora and I had these pictures taken at the mall the summer between 10th and 11th grade.

Speaking of Jenny! Jenny and I went to different schools but lived just a few blocks away from each other so we were together whenever we weren't in school. She was so goofy and fun. My mom took this picture of us outside my house in the same summer.

Jenny and Lora really showed me that you could have fun while being good.

As you can see on the title of this scrapbook page these guys were my lunch buddies. Every day for almost all three years I sat on the steps in one corner of the lunchroom. Every day there were different people that sat with us but the the four of us were almost always together at lunch in that corner.
They were great guys. 
Wes S. and Matt P. were in my German class and Jason T. I met in gym class on my 16th birthday.
Jason and I also dated off and on for about 3 years.
Jason S. was the other friend that got me going to early morning seminary. He was also in my new ward. We 'dated' for a second but that never really went anywhere... turns out he is gay. He was so much fun and such a great person. He called my parents mom and dad and was at my house so much that no one was ever surprised to see him. I love this scrapbook layout because he told us he was going to wear the same shirt every year for his picture and he really did.
Jen Orgill- she was my first best friend at Alta. We were always together sophomore year but then she transferred to another school for the rest of high school. Meanie. She was so funny and super tough. She pierced her own belly button once.
James - he and I shared a love of Georgia. We bonded over the fact that we had both lived there and made plans to go on a road trip to Georgia in his purple jeep wrangler after graduation. But, he was struggling with a lot of things that none of us knew about and took his own life. It was the hardest moment for me in those three years.
This page is full of pictures from the last day of school my senior year. The top left picture has Kevin, Doug (yes, my husband) and Danny. The top right is Wes again. 
The middle left is Jason T. again.
The bottom picture has Brent J. who was so wacky and funny, Hilary, and Doug.
Hilary was so cool. She was a ballerina and so funny. She was my best friend at Alta senior year and was a part of a large group of friends I hung out with that year that were really wacky. We did strange and funny things. 
And of course, Doug is my husband.
Throughout it all, Jenny and Lora were my best friends. Here is another picture of us.
This picture has Karen and Lora again amongst other good friends through the years. The middle picture is Bryan C. He was one of my best friends through school and for a few years after.


The top right picture and the bottom left picture include Bret P. He was also a friend throughout all of school. He was a great influence on me and we had a lot of fun together. The picture in the middle is Shannon, Karen, and I on a river rafting trip.

My 17th birthday- Karen, Jenny, Lora, and I
My junior year Austin was one of my best friends- right up there with the girls. He was hilarious and so much fun and I still miss the friendship I had with him. I screwed it up and we never really talked again after junior year.
Last but not least... the 90210 group. This was the summer of 1993 between my sophomore and junior years. I was always with this group. It consisted of myself, my boyfriend Matt ( the one with socks and sandals! we must remember that was hip back then.), Jenny, Chuck, Lora, Rusty, Taylor (not pictured), and Shannon (not pictured here).  Jenny, Rusty, Shannon, and myself were from Sandy. Lora was from Payson. And Chuck, Taylor, and Matt were from Provo.
Why do we refer to it as the 90210 group? Because we were all good friends that seemed to date among each other for a long time.
As it says on the page: 
Lora dated Matt. Then I dated Matt. Jenny dated Chuck. Then I kind of dated Chuck for a second a few years later. Lora dated Rusty. Shannon dated Taylor. Then Lora dated Taylor. Anyway, it was fun group of kids,
There you have it. I would love to see all of these people again someday. Through the greatness of facebook I am still in contact with more of them than I used to be but a lot of them I have lost contact with completely.

Did you enjoy high school?
Are you still friends with your high school friends?

6 comments:

Seth and Julie

What a fun little stroll down memory lane. It looked like you guys were always having fun. I am so sad to hear that one of your friend's took his own life though. Growing up is so hard, and I wish kids could see past the struggles of youth. It breaks my heart because I remember how hard it was to be a teenager. This is probably the question on this list that I am least comfortable with and I am not totally sure how I feel about high school. I had some good friends and some not so good, and a lot of family baggage back then so it all leaves me very torn. I love seeing that those years were so happy for you and it really does look like you had some amazing friends. I would love to see a picture of you and Doug together back then. Do you have one?

Cheryl

Nope. No pictures of just Doug and I. The closest I have is the page with multiple pictures on it from the last day of school. We are on the bottom of the page with my friend Hilary between us.
The only other pictures I have with both of us is a dance picture but we didn't go with each other.
It is so sad to think of the young people who take their lives. James was so cool and had so much potential. The hardest part was knowing that he was struggling with so much and none of us had any idea because he was always acting cheerful. He wasn't the only friend I had that committed suicide but he was the closest friend that did.
I'm sorry to hear you had a harder time in high school. I think that is very common. It seems that most of the people I talk to hated it so I really do feel blessed to have had such a great experience.
And yes, we were always having fun!

Jen

So many wonderful memories you have from high school. I wish I could say the same from my hs years, but I really wanted to move on and get away from those people. I lived in a really small, blue collar town and the mentality was so different from my family. For instance most kids from my class had no intentions of going to college, and it just wasn't a priority for many families whereas my own parents threatened my life daily if I didn't go to college.

You are so good about making scrapbooks from your childhood. I didn't start scrapbooking until my kids came around, and I really have ditched most any memories from earlier than my wedding. Good for you to hang on to all that stuff to look back on.

The Royals

Socks with sandals have never been hip! Great pictures and memories!

The Kings

Fun to walk down memory lane with you!

Cheryl

Karen- OK maybe 'hip' wasn't the right word... but at my high school they were all over the place. They weren't taboo yet.