She will go days or weeks without it ever happening and then she'll have a day where it seems to be crossed all day. I was worried it was a lazy eye she would have to deal with her whole life.
At her last dr. appt in December they tried to do an eye exam but she wouldn't really do it. They weren't sure if she just didn't want to or if she couldn't see it. So with that coupled with the crossed eye we set up an appointment with a specialist.
This morning we went for that appt. They did all sorts of games/tests on Abi's eyes and gave her eye drops. She was a trooper through it all until they wanted to do a second set of eye drops and she started crying because the first ones had hurt... but she still did it. I was so proud of her because they kept saying what a good girl she was and how well she was doing.
So, her vision isn't that bad.. she is a little far sighted but they have to see if they can clear up this crossed eye without surgery so for the next few years she has to wear bifocals. Funny.
We just went and picked out the frames (pink ones of course) and we're crossing our fingers that they don't look too crazy once the real lenses are put in them- the fake ones looked quite cute on her.
Here's where the shallow part comes in. I find myself so sad that my little girl has to wear glasses. I know this stems from me hating wearing my glasses when I was a teen and still feeling self conscious if I wear them - but I wasn't four when I got them!
I worry about how she'll look and that makes me feel like the worst mom in the world.
I don't want her to get made fun of for glasses. And especially for the bifocal aspect of them. IT also makes me sad that she won't look the same anymore because I don't want them to change!! (you know the whole please don't grow up too fast mentality).
So, please anyone do you have advice on this. Do your kids have glasses? Did they have to get them for this reason or do you know anyone that did? Did it clear it up?

















13 comments:
I think kids in glasses are adorable! I'm sure she will be fine.
coming from a mom who's kid got glasses at 20 months, don't worry about her! Harp got them for the same reason, and he loves them. I do too actually! And nobody has ever made fun of him, they all think it's cool that he has glasses! Make it a really fun thing for her and it will go great. They will be adorable! Harper's issues haven't cleared up, but they haven't got any worse so that is good! Do you have to patch her? Harper has to wear a patch over his lazy eye for an hour a day.
here's a link to the post I made on our blog about harper's eye stuff way back when... hope it helps some.
http://theprowsefamily.blogspot.com/2007/11/argh-matey-weve-got-pirate-on-our-hands.html
I'm excited for her! I'm glad you figured it out when you did! Don't worry about her being made fun of for the glasses. Everyone gets made fun of for something. Ms Abi is so spunky, I doubt adding glasses will cover up any of her huge personality!
Glasses are so in now days, I really don't think it will be a big deal! My friend's baby had to wear glasses since she was 3 months old and they are pink and the cutest things ever! I think she will be cute as ever in glasses and it will be just fine! No worries!
Thanks everyone for the encouraging words.. she does look really cute in them- at least she did in the frames-I am just not that great at change I guess.
Brinn- thanks so much. It was so good to find out that Harper has the same thing. I thought his glasses were just for normal vision problems and he is so adorable in his glasses so that helped so much. They don't have us doing the patch. They said that she has to come in again in about a month to check on her and will decide then. We've thought about just playing pirate every day for a while just to try it out.
Don't feel like you're a bad mom for worrying--that's what we do, right? I think if you make her think they're cool, then she will. I could be wrong, but I'm sure that has a lot to do with how a kid feels. I remember I had a friend with a strange patch of white hair and he always said that his mom said it was a kiss from an angel, so he thought it was cool and didn't worry what anyone else thought. And glasses aren't even weird at all--I'm sure she'll be adorable!
Im seeing more and more kids with glasses now. Its totally not a big deal. A couple of my kids actually asked for them...Madi got her wish. Im sure they will look cute on her, even with the lenses in. I know what you mean though, about her looking older. It will take time to adjust to them, but soon it will be weird to see her without them! Does she have to have them forever, or just until they get her eye adjusted?
Heather- I don't know if it will be forever or not. It will probably be until she is 9 or so at least to see if her eye re trains itself to not do that....
Like Katelin said her attitude will depend a lot on how you view it. If you think they're cool, she will, too. Kids don't make fun of others for wearing glasses. Tyler has had them for about 6 years and he has never been made fun of.
She will be so cute. I can't wait to see.
I do understand how you feel though. I had a hard time when Alyssa's top teeth came out because she looked so much older, and more awkward. Not trying to be mean, but that is when the goofy years start. She had always looked the same before that. Now they are coming in BIG and crooked, and I felt so shallow for letting it bug me. I don't want her to be teased, or self-conscious. But she is still beautiful to me, and thank goodness we live in a time where we can fix crooked teeth and eye sight problems.
I notice that all the kids in Primary get glasses at about 8 or 9 years old. The senior Primary girls all seem to have them, and truthfully, I think littler kids look even cuter in glasses. Abi will look great, and her eye will be able to get healthy.
I really do think that little kids look so cute in glasses! And Abi is such a cutie pie already, she should have no worries! I can't wait to see pictures! But of course all parents worry about their kids and only want what is best for them. I am sure your fears are natural but I bet they will go away soon because she will look so dang cute!
Post a Comment