CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, June 29, 2008

Grateful Sunday #2

While I was pondering the things I have to be grateful for and which of these I should post about today, I found out that just over a week ago Tasha Tudor passed away. If you don't know who she is, she was an amazing childrens book author and illustrator.

I was first introduced to her (even though I had read books of hers unknowingly before this) through my friend Emily. She told me about this book called The Doll's Christmas and how in her family growing up they would read it every Christmas and then have a tea party with their dolls. I knew this was something I wanted to do with Abi.

Then I was reading a book about Victorian traditions and the book kept mentioning Tasha Tudor and how she lived today but still celebrated an old fashioned way of life. I checked out a book about her and was shocked at her lifestyle. She really did live the way people did so long ago in the midst of todays world.
Most people that know me know that I am all about traditions. I have traditions for everything and I love having parties and adventures to celebrate everything. I owe this to my mother. She taught me that life is worth celebrating, even and maybe especially, the little things.
Today I am grateful for the life of Tasha Tudor, for someone who created beautiful stories and pictures for the rest of us to enjoy and share with our children. I am grateful that she created a world where Corgi's gather around the Christmas tree to sing carols and doll's have lives of their own. There are so many things today bombarding our children and so many of us have lost the values and love of family traditions that bring families together that our ancestors held dear. I want everyone to remember this woman that was able to keep these things alive.
If you've never heard of her- go rent a book from the library. Thanks Tasha Tudor for your contribution to this world. This Christmas Abi and I will be having a tea party with our dolls and we will be thinking of you.

0 comments: