CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, May 6, 2011

Kindergarten Connection

Yesterday Abi had an appointment at her soon-to-be school for a 'Kindergarten connection'. We were told it was for her to be evaluated to see what Kindergarten class she should be in and they have a better idea of her kindergarten readiness.
I thought we would all be together and discussing things and they would test her but a woman came and took Abi and we waited in the lobby. It was kind of funny since I made Doug take off work to be with us.
They had this big list of things they did with her to see where she is. When she brought Abi back out Abi was so happy.
The lady told us that Abi was a very nice girl and very cooperative. That made me happy.
Then she said that of all the things they were talking to her about there were only two things she didn't know/ couldn't do.
So what didn't she know?
1- How to tie shoes
2- Her birthday

That last one made me laugh. She always forgets her birthday and that seems like something every kid knows. She can read a book to me at bedtime but can't remember her birthday! We'll have to work on that.
I am so excited for her to start school. I know I am going to have a lot of anxiety about being away from her all day but I think she is going to love it.

6 comments:

Danandsteph.blogspot.com

Tell Abi I am going to start forgetting my birthday too... does that mean I won't get any older?
It seems like kids now have a harder time with tying their shoes...its because they make most "little kid shoes" with velcro. It makes it convenient for parents when you are trying to get out of the house fast...but not so great when it comes to teaching your kids how to do something they will actually USE their entire life! Great job Abi!

Holly

I felt the same way about Emma going all day to school. Before we moved here she only had half day Kindergarten, so it was a big change for me, and it was hard not seeing her as much. It still is. But it helps that she loves school! She loved it before, and has adjusted great to being there all day. She is so excited to tell me each day what they did. And all day really allows them to do some neat things. Emma is still working on tying her own shoes. She can do it, but it's not always the greatest job. Hopefully soon. For gym at school they all have appropriate shoes at school that they can change into if they wear boots to school too, and so many of the kids have tie shoes, but can't tie them. The poor teacher has to tie so many shoes each day! That's why for her school shoes I sent Emma with some velcro ones - just to give the teacher a break! We'll work on tying shoes at home, and maybe next year she'll take tie shoes to school! I'm glad Abi likes it there. It's nice while they're young and still get excited about school!

Cannegieter

Yay for Kindergarten! I bet she will love it. My kids always couldn't remember our address on the Kindergarten checklist :)

Jen

Oh, those little things will eventually stick to her brain. I still can't MImi to remember her address even though we practice it at least once a week. Good luck to Abi.

Sorry I've been missing in action lately. It's been insanely busy these past couple of weeks. The countdown begins to our move. Can't believe it's happening so soon. All us ladies should get together for a girls' night or something before we leave.

The Kings

Isn't it wonderful that those were the only things she didn't know!! You ought to feel really good about what you have taught Abi and that she can go in to the school experience knowing so much! The shoe tying will come fast. She will learn her birthday fast, too. She's quite a girl!

Seth and Julie

She is so ready! I was devastated when I learned that WI had all day Kindergarten but it is way harder on us than them. Also, I think it is hard to teach kids to tie shoes. Alex still doesn't know how and he doesn't even know what month his b-day is and he has survived Kindergarten. Abi's teachers will love how advanced she is academically.