It is a little unbelievable to me that my baby is already 18 months old. She has been going to nursery for a few weeks though so I was a little prepared for it. She officially hit the mark on Friday.
So, what is she like at 18 months?
Madeline has a mind of her own!
She wants what she wants when she wants it. She will let you know if you are not getting her what she wants or if you are bothering her.
She does not like to cuddle. She is so much like me. She gets really annoyed if you try to hold her too long or snuggle her when she is not in the mood for it but when she comes over to you and puts her head on your leg and says, "Ohhhhh." it does make it all the more sweeter.
She is the pickiest eater in the world. I am having a really hard time with this because Abi wasn't picky at all until recently when she has started having an opinion about what she does and doesn't like. Maddy, on the other hand, can like something one day and not the next. She hates fruits and vegetables. Occasionally she will eat peaches or pears but sometimes she won't. The only fruit that she loves is bananas.
Sometimes she'll eat peas or corn but not all the time.
She hates goldfish crackers.
There are days when she won't even eat Macaroni and cheese!
What she does like are Cheerios, Milk, water, bread/toast, peanut butter sandwiches, granola bars, Gerber cereal bars, Gerber puffs, and treats like animal crackers of course.
I don't know what to do about it because I don't feel like she is getting the nutrition she needs and I am not patient about making special meals for the kids. I just don't do it. I serve what I serve for dinner and if they don't like it they have to go without...I know I'm mean. But with Maddy that is harder to do because if she won't eat anything....
I will usually end up giving her a cereal bar or something.
She loves putting pants around her neck like a scarf... and pretty much anything else that she can do that with.
She loves books! She is always looking at them, pulling them down off shelves, and has to have a few in bed with her at naptime and bedtime or she will cry.
She also loves carrying around these ice cream cone toys Abi got for Christmas that have the scoops velcro on. She is really cute with them pretending to eat them and give them to others.
While she doesn't like to be held or cuddled, she is quite the charmer in other ways. She is extremely friendly and everywhere we go she tries to get every ones attention to tell them Hi.
I can be in a store and she will be crying and then someone will walk up next to us and she will immediately turn off the whine and smile and say 'Hi."
She is hard to take places because she isn't easy to keep entertained. She wants to be down getting into things. I find this very challenging.
She is so fun to listen to. She will jabber on and on telling me stories I don't understand.
She loves to laugh.
She can say lots of words but chooses not to. Mostly she says, Mom, No, Yeah, Yay,That, Cak (cracker) and Hi.
She continues to love music and dancing and just gets so excited whenever she hears music of any kind. I could watch her dance for hours.
She likes to sit in the baskets we keep the toys in.
If we watch Phineas and Ferb she tries to sing along to the opening song and sometimes you can make out "104 days" and she points when they say, "It's over here".
She is very independent (like her mother) and stubborn (again, like her mother!) and we can't imagine life without her!

















7 comments:
We had the same problem with Alex and his eating. Around 2 years old all he would eat was cheese crackers, cheerios and applesauce. Trust me when I say that if they are hungry they will eat. I wish that was the way that I eat!
Happy 18th, Maddy! You painted a picture of her that is right on! And I agree...we can't imagine life without her!! (By the way...it is funny Karen said Alex was like that with food. You mentioned she likes to sit in baskets...Ales loved to sit in my baskets when he was little, too!
She is so cute and growing up so fast. You can see more and more personality coming through each time you post new pictures.
As for food...the neverending mother's battle. All my kids have been picky and I only make one dinner. I don't let them have snacks past 4 since we eat at 6:30 and then hope for the best at dinner time. For years we had kids who often refused to eat but they have learned that they are not getting anything else and they definitely won't starve themselves in the long run. Now that they are older they eat whatever is in front of them at dinner time and they do it whether it is their favorite dinner or not, but they actually do like most dinners now that they have given them a chance. We were just talking last week about what a relief it is to be over the whiney "I don't want that" stage. 18 months is still pretty young though so while I wouldn't make a separate dinner I would make sure to include at least on thing that you know Maddy will eat in the dinner. Good luck, this is a tough fight.
That picture reminds me of one of you! It was when I was 8 years old and you would have been at least a year old. We were living in Springville at the time... if it isn't in your book of rememberance I have it in mine! You have to see it!!!! You say she acts like you...well it would appear she is going to look like you too!
she is darling and growing up soooo beautifully!!
I'm happy to say that we had tacos last night and Maddy actually ate a tortilla with cheese on it. Nothing else... but that's something!
Steph- I'm not sure I have the same picture. What does it look like?
I know that the pictures I have of myself at her age do look almost exactly like her! It's weird.
They grow so fast. You better have another one now!!! :)
Post a Comment