CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Movie Review Monday

I'm still calling it Monday even though it is Tuesday morning. Long ago I had many themes here on the blog but I have gotten away from all of them. I 'm trying to bring some back and this is the first attempt.
We watch a lot of movies. We do netflix and want to get our money's worth so we tend to watch things quickly and send them back quickly.
These are the reviews of the last weeks' movies.
The Shop Around the Corner- if you have seen You've Got Mail it is a remake of this. In my opinion it doesn't come close to this one. James Stewart is amazing. I have previously left him off my lists of favorite actors even though he is in (and amazing in) one of my all time favorite movies, Philadelphia Story, but after the past few days I have to put him in my top ten. Doug and I talked about his acting after watching this film.. it's like he is just onscreen talking, like he is the character. His acting looks effortless.
Anyway, for those of you who aren't familiar with the story... a man and a woman are corresponding through mail and have no idea (at first) when they meet that they are around the person they are in love with.
It's a Wonderful Life:
Holy cow... I hadn't seen this movie in at least 15 years, probably more and every time I'd see it on tv it was like, "It's always on. I can catch it some other time. It's sad."
So I decided to give it a chance again. Seeing it as an adult must be different for me because I was blown away by what a great movie this is. Doug and I both loved it. I know you all know the story line but if you haven't seen it for awhile and think you don't like it - give it another chance.
Again, Stewart is amazing.
Joyeux Noel:
This is a french film. They speak in German, French, and English. There are subtitles. It tells the story of the
Christmas Eve 1914 during World War 1 when the French, Scottish, and German soldiers put down their guns and come together for Christmas Eve and morning. I had heard the story but didn't know a lot about it.
This movie was amazing as well. My favorite part is when a German soldier/singer walks across the battlefield with a candle lit Christmas tree in one hand, the other hand in the air singing a Christmas Carol and all the men of all sides began pouring out of the trenches. We both loved this one as well.

So, for the first time we got 3 DVD's from Netflix and were 3 for 3 giving out 5 stars. We usually only love one, maybe two. Hopefully our luck will hold! I plan on owning all 3 of these eventually- that's how much we liked them.

5 comments:

Seth and Julie

I am happy to see the themes are coming back.

We finally cancelled Netflix when I realized we were keeping each movie about 6 weeks before someone would finally watch it or just send it back, and now I wish I'd kept it just for the holidays so I could show my kids Christmas movies. Oh well.

I love "It's a Wonderful Life". My mom used to make us watch it and I hated it. It was torture but one day I finally got it. I won't force it on my kids yet, but someday I think they will love it.

I haven't seen the others you mentioned. I do prefer older movies though, back when they had to rely on acting talent and not special effects. Now we have crappy Tom Cruise style acting forced on us. Sad!

Katelin

We love how Netflix offers so many movies you can't find in your local Blockbuster. I love "It's a Wonderful Life," and I definitely want to check the others out.

Cheryl

I was just thinking I should probably mention that Joyeux Noel is PG-13 and not really kid appropriate. It's not violent or anything but there is a battle at the beginning with people dying but the main reason is there is a short sex scene that has no reason to be there except to show the relationship between two of the main characters (the singer I mentioned and Diane Kruger from National Treasure who is also a singer)but I don't think I've ever seen a french movie that didn't include one.
It's not graphic but it's not something I would watch with Abi in the room.

Donna

I like Jimmy Stewart too! He makes acting look effortless, like you said. "It's a Wonderful Life" is one of my favorite movies. I've just added "The Shop Around the Corner" to my Netflix list. Thanks for the reviews!

BreeAnn

You've Got Mail is one of my ALL time favorite movies, so I am putting Shop Around the Corner on my netflix list, and It's A Wonderful Life, holds special meaning to me. The day I got home from the hospital after having Easton, Tyler had to go into work for a few hours, I didn't know what to do with myself so in the middle of July, I watched It's A Wonderful Life to take my mind off some things. It helped for those 2 hours, and even through all the pain, I knew my life was still going to be wonderful...