We've been brainstorming ideas around here for awhile to make the morning and bedtime routines/chores more fun and to help with
Abi's behavior more effectively than time outs. These are what we have finally done.
I made a list of the things I wanted to get done with
Abi every morning and then the things that we should do leading up to bedtime and printed them out. Then I found clip art to go with each thing and printed it out. I then colored those with colored pencil and glued them on with the words. Then I used the self laminating sheets you can get at
Walmart and laminated them, punched a hole in them, tied some ribbon through it, and hung them in the hall next to her bathroom...

She gets to turn them over once each task is completed. I plan on drawing a star on the back with the word 'Done!' but I haven't go to that yet. Today was the first time we did this and she LOVES it.

The other system is a ticket system. I got a roll of raffle tickets and a plastic jar. Yesterday
Abi got to decorate her 'ticket jar' and I printed out two lists. One is the rewards list. One is the consequence list. Every time she does something on the reward list she gets to put the specified amount of tickets in the jar. Each time she does something from the other list I get to take them out and put them back in the basket. We started it yesterday and occasionally she may get into the negative numbers. When this happens I put them in my little
frowny face jar and she has to earn those back (into the basket) before she can earn any back into her jar.
The motivation is that she can later cash in tickets for money for the Target $1 section or money for her piggy bank. She has done really well so far and has two tickets in there now.
4 comments:
That is a really good idea. I am so bad at disciplining my kids but teaching them about consequences and rewards is a good life lesson, and so much less harsh than yelling or being the bad guy.
Ah Cheryl, you are so creative and crafty! In a couple of years when Karson is at that fun age I will need to come to you for advice on these creative things!
You must get Family Fun Magazine. I think I saw the first one in there. I was thinking about doing that, but you know...
Those are great ideas! I wish I were creative and crafty like you.
Post a Comment