Friday, January 30, 2009
Entertainment at its finest
Well, maybe not at its finest but it's pretty fun. We have tried out Blockbuster online and Netflix and found Netflix to be a way better deal. Also, a couple of weeks ago when the next movie on our list had to come from a warehouse that was further away and therefore wouldn't get here as fast as it normally would, they sent us an extra movie from our list to 'hold us over' that extra day. Blockbuster, on the other hand, once had a movie take a week to get to us and did not do that. Interesting. Since we rarely go out to movies and we don't have cable it has been fun to be able to get some movies and tv shows through Netflix. We like that you can cancel and start up membership as often as you want as well as change the amount you get based on what you want to spend that month (from $5-$20). This month we have been enjoying seeing past seasons of tv shows that we barely started watching. Namely How I met Your Mother and The Big Bang Theory. Both are on the channel we get but since we don't tend to be sitcom people we didn't discover until recently.
We spent many nights watching episodes of How I Met Your Mother's first 3 seasons and laughing our heads off. Last week was The Big Bang Theory. This week we are on The Tudors. I know it isn't 100% historically accurate but its still pretty interesting and has great actors in it. (I think everyone knows of my crush on Henry Cavill right? Doug likes to tease me about it so I think its common knowledge.) It's not a show for the kiddies though.
Other movies we have enjoyed recently:
The New World- the story of Pocahontas starring Collin Farrel and Christian Bale. I loved this movie. It was so emotional and beautiful and relied so little on conversations. You came to know the characters through narration and imagery. When I watch a romance I like it to be epic (i.e Titanic, Anne of Green Gables, the Notebook) meaning lots of emotion and beauty so this fit right in.
Believe- dumb movie (fits into the category of the movies made by LDS guys but not a church movie.. like Singles Ward) but really funny if you know anyone that has been part of a pyramid scheme.
Errand of Angels- made me cry even though I've never been on a mission. I thought it was a really great movie.
Not so great movies:
Pirates of the great Salt Lake- we got this because we find it amusing to watch movies with Kirby Heyborne in them being that we went to high school with him and have a hard time remembering that he is a 'celebrity'. It was so dumb. I ended up turning it off before it was over because I just couldn't take it.
Eragon- Despite bad reviews from everyone I had ever talked to I decided to watch it because I just read the books for the first time and LOVED them. The movie started out well I thought. I had high hopes that maybe it wouldn't be so bad. Throughout there were things that were weird but I expect that in based on book movies. Then the end came. It was so terrible. They completely altered the cool book ending to some really weird, long, overly enhanced ending. I swear they could have taken the money and time they put into that ending and made the movie amazing. Oh well.
Looking forward to: Emma Smith, The Duchess, and giving the Matrix another chance.....
Labels:
movies and tv
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


















1 comments:
We have Netflix too and I like it a lot. We've had the same movie out for like two months now, though. We're wasting money by not watching it ASAP and sending it back!
Post a Comment