She was fine in the waiting room and then we walked back to the room. She got one look at the nurse and flipped out. She didn't even want me to take her shoes off. We had to have her stand against the wall to be measured and stand on the scale to be weighed. She wouldn't do either. She was SCREAMING- actually screaming and saying , " I NEVER do that!" I was so embarrassed and wondering why she wouldn't do these simple things. The nurse looked annoyed and just stood back saying, "I won't touch you."
I finally got her on the scale and then she jumped back off. I had to hold her to the wall and pull the thing down to her head and let her go and she ran back into the room.
The nurse said, "Well, I guess she won't let me take her blood pressure." to which Abi wailed, "No!" So she left.
Then the doctor came in and she was better with him, more comfortable and played around in the room while he and I talked but she was crying while he listened to her heart and lungs and looked in her eyes and ears. She clamped down her mouth when he wanted to look at her teeth so he pried her mouth open and when he was done counting her teeth she just looked at me with the saddest face and the most pathetic little cry. It was pretty sad. Then he had to examine her body. I felt bad as I had to hold her down while he checked everything. She was not happy.
So, she needed her flu shot. He left and we waited for the nurse to come in with the shot. I expected the worst after all of this. The nurse that came in was a different one, a little older, and I put Abi on the table next to her. I held onto one side in a hug and Abi just sat there. No tears, no struggle. She got the shot, the nurse put on a band aid. Still nothing. She says goodbye. I get her dressed. Totally fine.
What? You scream about everything else and then are fine for the shot!
This made me think. Maybe Abi isn't just afraid of Everyone, maybe she is just a really good judge of character.......
Here she is running to me when we hear the doctor coming-

















4 comments:
Poor thing, I always feel so bad when they FEAR going to the Dr's... the people who are there to HELP...Well, good thing she's TOUGH when it matters. Way to go Abi on the shot!!!
Do you carry your camera EVERYWHERE!? I totally know how this goes. Madi was beyond HORRIBLE when we would go to the doctors. We would have to have three people hold her down to give her her shots! She finally grew out of it by around the age of 5 or 6. Im sure the doctors and nurses are used to it.
Yeah.. my camera is usually in my purse.
John freaks out at the doctor's office too. It's not fun. I can't believe she didn't cry for the shots!
Post a Comment