Right now I am feeling an overwhelming gratitude for Abi. I was looking at a blog a while ago and it had a link to youtube to a video of the Christian musician Steven Curtis Chapman's families appearance on Larry King. I am actually not that into christian music. It's not something I listen to very often but when I was a teenager I saw a video of one of his songs (the Great Adventure) and really liked it. I then bought a few of his albums. I haven't listened to them for years but I have continued to like him.
Recently I had heard that one of his five year old daughters had been killed in their driveway by being struck by one of her older brothers that was driving into the driveway. I was saddened by the news but hadn't really seen anything on it. I followed the link and watched the videos. They are broken up into six parts. I was sobbing the entire time. It was seriously one of the most heartbreaking things I have ever watched. It was also extremely faith building -even though they don't share my exact religion we still believe in so many of the same things.
At one point I was just sitting on the couch crying and Abi was dancing and as I watched her I was just amazed at how blessed we are to have her in our lives and wishing that I always could be a person that deserved that. She turned to me and saw that I had tears running down my cheeks and ran over to hug me. She looked at me and said, 'Are you so sad?" I told her that I was watching a video that was sad but that she made me so happy. She then said, "I love you so much momma." and kissed me. These moments are the ones when you think about what is the most important and how wonderful it is to have the faith that we do about what happens after this life.
In the interview Steven was saying that right afterward they were all praying and wishing that they could just see a sign that she was okay, see that what they believed was true, etc.. and the next day they came home and found a sheet of paper that little Maria had drawn on. She drew a 6 petaled flower (there are six kids in the family including her) and she had colored in only one of the petals of the six. Then she had written a word that none of them had ever seen her write before- didn't know that she could write. "SEE"
If you have a moment you should check it out on youtube. It is incredible and inspiring to see a family come together and have so much faith and love in such a time of tragedy. Hold your little ones close!
Saturday, September 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

















2 comments:
I've actually been following this story a bit, through the magazines, and online, etc. The family is so inspiring! They miss her, but they talk about death like Mormons do, and that they will see her again, they don't blame their son, who hit her, etc.
It's heartbreaking and heartwarming at the same time.
I remember hearing about that in the news when it happened. What an amazing family and story. Thanks for the positive message about family and what really matters.
Post a Comment