This week I switched things up a bit again. I needed to go to Sams club and it is up in Sandy so I decided to make that our outing day so I could go to Salt Lake City and then hit Sams on the way back. Because of this I ended up doing our hike Monday as well because it was also a SLC area hike. It made for a very busy day.. but also very fun.
Tracy Aviary was our first stop. I had never been here before so it was all new to all of us.
There were lots of birds, ducks, and peacocks just strutting around the paths. The girls weren't quite sure what they thought of that.
Maddy checking her 'wingspan' compared to the condors. The ginormous blue wing span is the wing span of the condor we got to meet.
Here he is. Andy was born in San Diego zoo. He was bigger than the kids.
a cool golden eagle
This crane came running right over to us. It just stood there staring at the kids once it got up to the fence. Not sure what it would have done if there was no fence. It was taller than Maddy and about as tall as Abi.
Abi and some flamingos in the background
The girls liked it but didn't really want to stick around for all of the shows and presentations so we chose one show to go to and then spent the rest of the time checking out the birds.
When we got to the Eggsmasher show we were the first ones there so the girls played on the steps for a few minutes and then we got good seats on the front row.
The girl was talking about eggs and how strong they are and what purpose they serve. She put a chicken egg in between two foam sheets in the bottom of that yellow contraption, stuck the green block with platform on top of it, the basket on top of that, and then had kids come help her put weights in the basket to see how much weight could go on the egg before it broke.
Abi got picked to volunteer. She never used to raise her hand for things like this because she would get too shy so I just love seeing her get out there.
A few volunteers later Maddy got picked too. She was so excited!
In the end it took over 60 pounds to smash the one egg. It was pretty cool.
They also had an emu run out and then showed us an emu egg. It looked like a really big avocado. Abi didn't want to touch it but Maddy did...
We can never walk past one of these without getting a picture!
I loved the owl section. This owl was so cool looking... and then I saw the picture I took on here and realize one of his eyes came out looking red. Creepy.
The girls really wanted to stop off at the gift shop and make some pictures.
Maddy wanted hers hung up with the others but Abi wanted to bring hers home.
Overall it was a really fun outing but I'm not sure we would go if we were paying admission. This was one of the stops on our connect pass. It was very small but it really was very well done.

















3 comments:
It has changed a lot since I last went there years ago. All I remember is cages with birds in them. So I am glad it was nicer and that you had a good time.
Oooh, I like the owl with the creepy red eye! :)
We went there last summer and paid admission and none of us were impressed, to be honest. The same day we did go over to the water display in Liberty Park where the lakes and rivers of the SL valley are carved out of concrete and they splased and had a great time.
Post a Comment