CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

First day of Second Grade

Abi started school on the 20th of August. It came way too soon. 
I was kind of sad because it was a very different first week of school than it normally is because I went to Education Week at BYU and it just happened to be the same week.
Monday I went to a few classes but had to hurry home for the open house at her school at 2:30. I was a little sad that it was so early because I had to miss a few classes... but I wanted to be there for her. 
She was having a rough time leading up to school starting. She was crying at night because she didn't want to go back to school.
I was seriously considering starting homeschooling but Doug wanted me to wait another year to see how it went.
After the open house we got dinner out and then the girls had baths and the traditional fathers blessing. She was nervous and unsure and decided to hide under all her stuffed animals.
On the 20th I didn't go to my first two classes so that I could see her off. I was really torn about not being there when she got home from her first day though!
Here she is: 
First day of Second Grade

A bunch of the teachers were lined up outside the front door yelling and cheering with balloons and a school mascot (hawk). It was really cool and I think it made the kids feel really special.
Abi's teacher from last year was there and yelled her name which was cool.
Abi had a hard time last year but not from her teacher. Her teacher was very sweet and kind and Abi loved her.


6 comments:

Unknown

So glad to hear it! I love Abi!

Cheryl

And she loves you!

Holly

So glad she likes it now!

Seth and Julie

I am sorry that she had a hard time. Moving during the school year was probably tough but I am glad she is settling in. Now that I have one home I am so tempted to bring the others home too but I think grade school is a good way to get used to a classroom setting and to learn social skills so I am leaving them there until 6th grade or at least that is the plan right now. I will be curious to see where the future takes you.

Cheryl

It was hard but mostly it was such a change.
She would ask kids in her class to play with her and they would say no and tell her to go away. She never dealt with that at PP so it was a new thing.
She didn't learn anything she didn't already know so she was completely bored.
Kids would tell her they would come over to play and then not show up. She had one little girl that came over every day for hours when we first moved in and then stopped talking to her. (interestingly she is in her class now and they are good friends but I don't quite trust the girl).
It was just a huge adjustment. The kids in this neighborhood seem a little snottier than I am used to.
But she stuck it out and I am proud of her.

Donna

That is so fun that the teachers had balloons and were cheering! I'm glad she's enjoying school!