something/someone you miss:
I have been feeling really nostalgic lately. Maybe it has been this post challenge and the fact that it had me pulling out old yearbooks and scrapbooks and the discussions Doug and I have had as we looked through them or maybe it's the winter doldrums. I'm not sure.
But when I set down to answer this I had many things come to mind and one of them is a few old friends of mine. Doug and I talked about it and about how there are some people that you would love to see again and just see how they are but there are a few friends that were so special and so important to you that you think about them often. I miss a few friends but there were two guys in particular that I miss.They were both such a big part of my life that I can't help but miss the friendship I shared with them.
Doug and I were talking about it because he knew one of them and knew of the other one but didn't know either really well. I asked if he thought it was weird. He said he didn't. But as we talked I thought even if I did see these guys again it probably wouldn't be the same. So, I am sure I won't ever have those friendships back but I do miss them.
I also think about my family. Once upon a time I had that family that was always together. We were together on every holiday, were having parties and get togethers all the time. We gathered at my parents house for New Years Eve sleep overs and my friends would want to come to those instead of teenager parties because my family was so fun. But over the years there has been a shift. We had a major family issue that led to us all being estranged for a while and then slowly one by one we came back together but I don't think it has ever been the same. As children grew up, families started doing their own things and also hanging out with their respective friends and in laws more. Some of us changed so much that the relationships just aren't the same anymore. And sometimes I think I'm the only one that longs for those days when we used to gather around at my parents house for Christmas Eve AND Christmas day. For those days when we were all best friends. I miss it terribly. I joke that I think family and gatherings are the most important to me of anyone else in the family and I'm the only one that lives away... but I think it's true.
I also miss each family member individually since we don't see each other often but My Mom is coming out in a few weeks!!!!! Yay!
I miss the carefree days of my teenage and mid twenty years when I had no real responsibility. But, I would never give up my responsibilities for that again because as hard as it is to be a mom I love those girls more than anything.
I miss jumping in my car and driving up the canyon. I used to spend so much time in the mountains. I went camping all the time. I would sometimes drive up and just park and sit by a river and read or write. I love hiking. I love the feeling of the early morning sunshine coming over the mountain peaks when you are cold after a rough night of camp sleep. I have never been camping with Doug and the girls. It's not the same out here. I miss using the mountains to always know where I was at.
I miss lots of things.
Friday, March 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

















5 comments:
You're not the only one who misses those days. Life is different now... and I don't think it has anything to do with what happend years ago... I just think everyone has changed and the kids have all grown up. Alex is 18, Tyler is 16, Kenna is 15, Austin is 14... and so on...Brent and Karen's kids always have things going on or have to work. Greg and Angie can't do a lot in the evenings because Greg goes to work at like 1:30 in the morning. Plus she and Karen are both going to school and have crazy schedules and lots of homework.With Dan serving as the Bishop we have very little time to "hang out" with anyone... We HAVE to make time just for our little family... I think everyone thinks we are spending time with friends instead, but we really aren't.
I guess that is what happens as everyone grows up. I hope my girls always want to hang out with us. I will be sad if that changes someday. I will be honest though, unless the sleep over is at our house so I can sleep in my own bed, I am going to pass on "sleep-overs". I am too old! Give it 7 years and you'll know what I am talking about!
I'm looking forward to summer... we will try to plan some parties and events at our place and we will see who shows up! Slip and slide anyone?
Hey Steph- I hope that part didn't offend you. I wasn't saying it was a bad thing... just that I missed it. I agree that the changes aren't just because of what happened but because kids grew up and everything. I know everyone is busy and I'm not there anyway. I think our family still gets together when it is most important. Everyone still takes time to see each other and be there for special occasions. I just meant I miss the days when we were always together.
I miss people a lot too and also think it is so sad when relationhips change because truthfully you can't change them back. Even if there was no drama involved, life just changes things and people and it is tough. My famiy still tries to spend every waking moment together when I am visiting but I know as more of us have kids and we just physically don't fit in the same house anymore, it will change some, and it will make me sad. Being close to people is the best thing in life, but so many relationships change or end and it is such a bummer!
I wasn't offended...I am sad about it too. It seems like it really changed about the same time you moved. It's hard because your kids are really young, and when our kids were that age we did so much together as a family. I can understand you feeling like you are getting the raw end of the deal on that one. I don't know how to change it back.
It's hard too, because I think we've all changed. To think that some of us have, and others haven't wouldn't be fair. Lets just say that some of us have changed in the "same direction" and some haven't. It makes for some stressful and interesting family moments... I guess someday when/if you guys move back here we can try to plan more family events...and when you come to visit maybe we can try to do that as well. I want the kids to stay close even though they are growing up.I am going to call mom right now about Easter. Would you move back already?!?! Geez! ;)
Steph- Oh good. I was hoping I hadn't made you feel bad. It is strange how when we moved it seemed like all the kids were still little and now everyone is grown up.
It feels like ten years have passed instead of 4 1/2.
You are correct about everyone changing. I think we all constantly change as we get older.
I can't wait to come out this summer and hopefully we can have at least one or two family get togethers while I'm there.
Julie- it's true. I think there are some relationships that are really only meant to be short and are there for a specific purpose but it is harder to lose the ones that feel like they are supposed to be lifelong. There really aren't any relationships that don't change in some way over time.
Post a Comment