Why do you live where you live?
Short Answer: Doug's job
Long answer:
Right after Abi was born, Doug applied for a job at Discover Card's corporate offices in IL. He got the job but we had some time until we would move as he trained. We flew out in May of 2006 to look at houses. We found a few that we liked. We visited the ward and met a few really great people. One girl I talked to told me where not to live. We scratched houses in those areas off of our list. By the end of the short trip we had decided to build a home because it was only a difference of a few thousand dollars.
We moved out here in August. Our house would not be done until January so we lived in a rental house for a while. It was then that we became really grateful we had decided to build. Our town is kind of weird. It doesn't feel like there is a bad side of town and a good side of town to me. It seems like they are all mixed in together. You can go down one street and have a neighborhood with huge mansions and then a street over have run down apartments and houses that seem very ghetto-ish and then a couple streets over have nice houses again.
Our rental house was too close to a bad area for my liking. I know some people live in that area and think it is nice but I hated it. Every few nights we would hear the alarm go off at the car wash across the street. We were way too close to the old walmart and I saw lots of crazy things go on there.
We live in a nice neighborhood, not overly friendly, but nice and safe.
I really do like living here. I love being so close to Chicago. But, if Doug didn't work here we would not be here. It is not our dream location. It's not where I want to live forever.
Saturday, March 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

















2 comments:
Our town is weird! I always notice the same thing, the mansions are nestled right in with the shacks. I knew you guys built your house but didn't realize you rented by the old Walmrt before that. I thought you rented in IL. That old Walmart was in a not so great area, but lots of people say the same thing about my area and I have never been scared where I am. I am glad you guys moved hre, and for your sake I do hope you make it back to where you will be happiest someday.
The job is what brought us here, too. Except that we did have somewhat of a choice, and for whatever reason Mike wanted to move here to good ol' Kenosha. There are some weird areas in town that I can't quite call the "ghetto" but they certainly aren't places I'll hang out with my kids. We have really enjoyed living here, and I tried so hard to convince Mike to open a practice here. It'll be very sad when we head out in a few months.
Post a Comment