CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, February 1, 2010

Movie Review Monday: Playing catch up

I haven't done this for a while again.. so there are a ton of movies that we/I have watched over the last month...

Penelope:
I love this show. I think it has a nice message about self love and confidence and does it in a cute and entertaining way. I love the acting in it as well. James Mcavoy is great and looks kind of like Gerard Butler in this one. Christina Ricci and Reese Witherspoon are adorable too.
Moon:
Amazing. Do not watch this if you only like happy go lucky movies though. It is not a happy movie. There isn't really a happy ending. This movie makes you think.
It follows an astronaut that is living alone with only a computer as a companion on the moon. Basically they have found a way to harvest energy for the moon for the entire earth so they need someone up there to run things. I won't say anymore in case anyone wants to see it... I don't want to ruin it.
It seriously had Doug and I thinking about it for days.

Public Enemies:
How could you go wrong with Christian Bale and Johnny Depp in a movie together? Make it boring. No, it wasn't terrible but it wasn't great. The acting was superb as usual from those two but I found the story lacking. I knew it was a true story about John Dillinger and it was kind of funny to hear them talking about Racine Wisconsin but it just wasn't exciting or thought provoking or fun. So, there you go.
District 9:
I almost didn't watch this one because as it began I thought it was going to be scary and/or really violent. I don't know why I felt that way.. probably because of the raw way it was filmed like a documentary. I'm glad I kept watching though because I found it very interesting. It wasn't a top favorite but I think it was cool.
It's interesting to think of what it really would be like if some alien species came to live on Earth with us like that.
My Life In Ruins:
I think just about everyone knows that I'm not a huge romantic comedy girl. I'll watch them if I think they look good or I get a recommendation but they don't usually end up being my favorites. I mean, you know going into them that a couple is going to meet then encounter some obstacle and then end up together in the end. Seen it. But occasionally I see one that I find truly funny or heartwarming.
Life in Ruins was one of them. It is cheesy. You don't expect any of this genre not to be but I was laughing out loud many times during this film.
It is about a girl that moves to Greece to be a professor at the university and teach what she loves- about the Greek architecture and sites. Cutbacks leave her jobless so she goes to work as a bus tour guide.
One Man's Treasure:
Bad bad acting, pretty lame storyline, saved by one scene at the very end that made me cry.
This is not a must see. The missionaries spend a p -day following clues left by some former missionaries to a hidden treasure.
The Accidental Husband:
I can't completely recommend this although I mostly liked it. I felt like it had two writers.. one that was good and one not so good and they took turns writing scenes. I loved Jeffery Dean Morgan in it and was surprised I wanted her to be with him over Colin Firth!
500 days of Summer:
After hearing so many people loved this movie I watched it. I liked the way it was filmed. The actors were good. I was bored. I don't get why everyone loves it so much.
Suspicion:
I had never seen this before (gasp- a Cary Grant movie I'd never seen?) and was intrigued by the fact that it looked like Cary Grant was playing the villain.
The best scene was one of Cary Grant carrying a tray with a glass of milk in the night. It was all dark and shadows but the milk was glowing. Turns out Hitchcock had put a light down in it. It was awesome.
I was pretty unsure of how it would end the entire time so that was cool. I found out later that the end had to be changed because the studio wouldn't allow Hitchcock and Grant to end it the way they wanted to.. and I think it would have been cooler their way... but I still liked it.
The Brothers Bloom:
I really liked it. These brothers and their one girl friend that doesn't talk are con artists. When one of them falls in love with their latest con it becomes complicated. I thought it was funny.. in a dry sort of dark way. It was sad as well but I really did like it.

0 comments: