This year has been difficult getting her to go into Primary. We've had to resort to bribery and every week she gets a treat on the way home if she has stayed in Primary the entire time by herself.
Well, after our long vacation I thought it might be even harder to get her to go in- especially because they were gearing up for the Primary Program. She would have a line to say and songs to sing all in front of the entire ward. I did not think she would do it.
So, they have had a couple weeks of practice Sundays and then the practice yesterday. Yesterday I peeked in and saw she was singing which surprised me. In all the times I had to sit in Primary with her I never heard her sing with the group even though we sing the songs all the time at home.
So, today I was crossing my fingers she would even go up on the stand let alone sing or say her part.
They called the Primary up and she went out by her friend Alisse and then for some unknown reason she started crying and came back into our bench. We asked what was wrong but she wouldn't say. Maybe she just got nervous.. not sure.
So, at this point I was pretty sure it wasn't going to happen but I asked her if she would go up with Daddy and he could help her into her seat and then come back down.
So up they went and he stayed for a minute as she clung to him ... then she let him come back down.
I watched as she actually sang the first song. I was so excited. It was so fun to watch.
Then she ran back down to us. She came into the bench and wanted to play with her eye spy bag.
I tried to talk with her and talk her into going back up and she did.
Then she came back down again almost immediately.
I had brought a little prize for her if she participated (I am the queen of bribery all of a sudden it seems) . I reminded her of that but told her she didn't have to go up if she didn't want to. Doug didn't want her to at first.. he didn't want her going up and down. But I told him we had to let her have one more chance if she chose to.
I told her it was almost her turn to speak so if she wanted to do her part she needed to go back up.
She stood up and scooted past Doug and walked up to her seat. A few minutes later it was her turn.
I wondered what would happen. Would she really walk up to the microphone? Once there would she actually say something?
Then I watched as she walked up to the microphone pushing the hair out of her face. The Primary President helped her up and put the microphone at her level and ......
She did it!!! In a loud and clear voice she said, "Mommy helps me to come to church." and then sat back down.
She kept looking at me with a little half smile. I was so proud!! She had just stood up in front of a LOT of people.
She did end up coming back down to us a few minutes later and we told her she would just stay down after that but she continued to sing the songs with them from our bench.
It was such a great moment for us to see that breakthrough. It doesn't necessarily mean she will do it again or be less shy- but I'm just glad she did it this time!!

















5 comments:
She did so great! I was so excited for her, and for you. Having a shy girl of my own, I know how hard that was for Abi. Alyssa didn't speak her first two years in Primary. Abi is our youngest Primary child and my heart was just so happy for her today. I tried to look at you but before I could make eye contact I was helping the next little one.
Abi even sang. Most of the kids in Sunbeams don't sing. How appropriate that she chose to say "My mom helps me go to church". I know you have battled to get her to Primary but Heavenly Father sees your effort and He blessed you with a HUGE victory today.
YAY ABI!!!!
She did it and she did it beautifully. What an angel.
That's so awesome! Congrats! Tyler has always been too nervous to get up there in Sacrament meeting, but he does okay in Primary. Good luck with the baby!
Yea, Abi!
Too cute! I wonder what Sara is going to do (the program here is in 2 weeks). I'm sure John will want to talk about dinosaurs instead of his assigned thing. Kids!
Post a Comment