CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Gearing up for Hibernation: a warning and explanation

As if having a baby doesn't give me enough to worry about, as if having a winter baby doesn't make me paranoid about sicknesses enough, H1N1 had to rear its ugly head this year.
So- a little back story here about when Abi was born. There wasn't any big flu that year... just the normal things and RSV. I was worried though. So, we hardly left the house. I would go to my sisters house every once in a while, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day we went to the nativity at Doug's parents house. But that night we knew there would be a lot of people there so we made a rule that no one could hold her at those so we didn't have to single out anyone that we didn't want to hold her.
Every once in a while we would go out on errands but she would always be completely covered and I would sanitize like crazy. No one was able to touch or hold her if they had any sign of any sickness and/or without sanitizing first (this included Doug and I).
What was the result of all of this? She never got sick. She didn't get so much as a head cold until she was a year old. A lot of people bugged me about that saying she wouldn't have a good immune system, etc.. so I asked my pediatricians about it and they told me that it was amazing to keep a baby healthy during that important first year and that I should keep doing what I was doing.. that it WAS the right thing. They told me she would have plenty of time to be exposed to things. She has gotten colds and other sicknesses since then but she really doesn't get sick that often which I am so grateful for.
Besides the difference of the H1N1 this time around I also realize that it will be harder this time around to stay in hibernation. We weren't really connected in our apartment ward last time and knew we would be moving so it didn't matter as much that I stayed away from church for a few months, I was a new mom so I was more comfortable staying close to home anyway, and there was no older sibling to go do activities with.
I've been thinking about this a lot. This is what I have come up with.....
There are some things I want to still do like shopping the day after thanksgiving when my mom is here, going to American Girl Cafe with my mom for Abi, various Christmas activities and parties, etc so I am going to try to do as many of those as possible (this also depends on my recovery) but she will always be completely covered up like I did with Abi.
I will not be at church for awhile. There are just too many people gathered in a small place with so many sick kids to risk that exposure right away.
And as far as the big activities and parties we have decided to enforce the same rule as last time- no one will hold her unless it's a small gathering of only friends/family. And at these no one can hold/touch without sanitizing first.
Also if you decide to visit us after she is born in the hospital or at our home (which we would love to see people I promise!) please refrain if you or anyone in your family has even a hint of the sniffles.
I hope that no one will take offense to this or stay away from us when they are healthy because it is not meant to hurt anyone's feelings or anything like that. It's just what worked before. I feel like as a mother it is my duty to make sure my kids are not exposed to things when I can help it especially during those first few months.
She may still get sick. There is only so much I can do. But I have to do what I feel is right. Doug and I both agree on this.
I thought I should make this post in warning so no one is surprised when she is born and these things begin happening.. but again please know that we value all of your friendships and don't want this to affect them in any way...
And if you want to make fun of me... I'm used to it. Believe me it happened last time. It did hurt my feelings but once again my babies are more important to me than my pride... so you can if you'd like just please respect us and our decision and help us to keep our baby healthy.

2 comments:

Seth and Julie

She is your baby, you have to do what feels right to you. Swine flu does add a real concern. I am even afraid for my older children.

I am not exactly a germ-o-phobe though. I am afraid of dirt, but germs, not so much... which is funny because you know how paranoid I am about most things. Anyhow, I never let anyone with a hacking cough hold my babies but other than that I was pretty low stress. Nursing babies are really strong. Alyssa didn't even get a sniffle until she was 5 and her colds only last 3 hours. None of my kids have EVER been on antibiotics. Knock on wood.

Winter babies are tough though. I kept Chloe home a lot just because it was freezing. Plus, she was the last one and I wanted to stay home and have her all to myself. That newborn phase is so short and I have to get in as much cuddle time as possible.

Cannegieter

I'm right with you! I have a summer baby born in the beginnings of the flu. We have been hibernating for most of the time and she has not been sick one time. It is so worth it. My kids know they can't touch her if they have any signs of sickness or without sanitizing first. I've been so scared of the swine flu and also because I have 3 kids at school (germ festival there), but Kathryn has still been my healthiest baby yet.