CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Sunday, December 25, 2011

Terrible end to a fun activity

Abi loves ice skating. LOVES it. She has been talking for months now about when we were going to go ice skating. So, I had it for the advent tree activity for Friday. She was so excited. We left Maddy and Doug at home and headed over to the Ice Plex for some fun. 
Last time we went Abi fell and hit her head really hard. I had noticed some kids wearing helmets so I had her wear one this time. It's kind of ironic that I did that so she would be safe. I should have wrapped her in bubble wrap.
Here she is excited to get on the ice!
She used a bucket about half the time and the wall every once in a while. Most of the time we just held hands. This is one of the things I have felt terrible about because I encouraged the bucket because it was 'easier'.
Abi's friends Claire and Faith were there and then we also ran into another girl from her school.
And then she heard her name and turned to see one of her best friends Emma.
Pretty soon after the above picture we were skating in the middle and a girl coming toward us fell. Abi and she collided and Abi's face hit the bucket. I couldn't stop either and went flying over both of them. I remember landing hard on my hands and being embarrassed like I hope not everyone saw that and noting that my wrist hurt a little. Abi was crying so I quickly turned to her and that is when I noticed that there was a lot of blood. I took a look at her face and knew instantly that she needed stitches. 
I hurried her off the ice as fast as I could and some very kind people helped me to get her things to hold to her cut and getting her ice skates off, etc. I felt like I was in panic mode. My heart was racing and I was just trying to get out of there quick.
We went to the ER and they quickly got us back to a room. By then the bleeding had mostly stopped and we were set up on a bed. We did end up staying for about three hours but everyone working was so great and kind to both of us. 
In this picture you can see the outside of the cut. It went all the way through.
One of the nurses put a cotton ball with a topical on it to the cut and then wrapped this gauze around her head to keep it there to numb it a bit.
They still ended up giving her a ton of shots in the area though. I felt so bad for her as she squeezed my hand and I knew it was hurting her so bad.
There was the nurse that was doing the stitches and the nurse who was helping and then an EMT young boy came in as well. He was holding Abi's other hand and I noticed that he was rubbing her hand during the shots and I was so thankful for someone so kind and comforting to help me in that moment. 
She didn't make a peep through all the injections and the stitches and they all kept commenting on how great she was doing. I was so proud of her. I knew it wasn't easy for her.
She got 4 stitches on the outside. They didn't do any on the inside because the nurse and doctor said it would close up and it would be more likely to get infection if there were stitches there. She just has to be careful with what she eats not having hard edges.
Here she is after they bandaged her up. The picture makes me so sad because she looks heartbroken in it.
I took this picture of her on Christmas eve when I took off the bandages to dab the area clean and put ointment on it. You can see the stitches, scratches, and her poor fat lip.
It is amazing what happens to us when our babies get hurt. I broke down when we got home for a minute. I cried and cried because I was so overwhelmed after trying to keep it together for her sake. I wish I could have done it for her.
I Love this girl!

5 comments:

Jen

Aaaah, poor Abi! What an awful way to remember an ice-skating experience. I hope it doesn't scare her off for her good. My girls love the ice and are really missing it this season. I really should just try to get them out there at least a couple of times a month so that their 2 years of lessons don't go completely down the drain.

Send my healing wishes to Abi that she'll make a speedy recovery.

The Royals

Poor baby. It is no fun when something like that happens. I have broken down just like you have many times. Good job keeping together for her sake!

Cheryl

I hope it doesn't too Jen. I was a little worried about that because of the fact that last time she hit her head so hard and this time she does real damage... but I think she will still want to go again sometime.

The Kings

I am so glad you called after to let us know about her accident. I got tears in my eyes then and now just looking at the pictures. Poor little Abi. But what a brave girl she was...to go throught the pain and then being scared about what was going on in ER. (And what a brave mommy...to hold in the emotion until you were at home and alone!)You helped her be brave.

Seth and Julie

Oh Abi!!! Seth told me about this after he came by your house and I told him that I knew you must have been heartbroken for her. Good for her for being brave, and here's praying for a speedy recovery.