CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Friday, November 5, 2010

Bed question

Has anyone used a bunk bed for their kids that they would recommend?

6 comments:

Jen

Actually, my big girls have had their bunk beds since right before we moved here. We all love them, especially since they do help save space in the girls' tiny bedroom. I LOVE white furniture, so I definitely wanted to find something white and cottage-y for the girls. I never feel they are unsafe in them. There is a railing all the way across the top bunk and a very small opening for the ladder which is the at the footend of the bed. My girls are not daredevils and have never swung or jumped from them. I'm sure the same would not be said if I had boys;)

You can see a picture of the bunk beds when we first got them here: bunk beds. You may notice that we had the bedding/pillows toward the ladder end, but we've since realized it's safer at the other end. I will say the white gets filthy, but it's worth it to wipe down every so often because the white helps brighten that teeny space. I think dark or any wood-colored beds would have swallowed up that space and made it so dreary.

Good luck with your decision on whether or not you plan to get bunk beds one day.

Jen

Oh, I forgot to give you a link of what we have, in case you're interested in knowing: http://www.bunkbedsnow.com/bunk-bed-twin-over-twin-white-pelican.html. However, this is not the place we got them. The feature I really liked about these particular beds is that you can decide later to configure them as 2 separate twin beds if we ever get a room big enough to do that (which is probably never...LOL).

Seth and Julie

We bought bunk beds for Alex's room about a year ago. After shopping around, we found that the wood ones in our price range were flimsy and cheap looking. We finally got a metal one from Ikea, for one reason only, the price. Alex and Alyssa sleep on it now, but at some point I want bunks in the girls room and I don't want that particular bunk bed in the girls room. I want something more feminine looking for them. It works fine and keeps them tucked away safely, but one day when I have $1000 to spare I will go for a wood set. Or better yet, move to a house with rooms big enough to hold two twin size beds. I truthfully would prefer not to have bunks at all, but our rooms are tiny so we are left with no other option.

Cheryl

Jen and Julie- thanks so much for the input. I really like the ones you have Jen and the fact that they convert to two twin beds. Abi has really wanted bunk beds since Maddy was born because she wants them to eventually share a room. Obviously, Maddy is too young for that for quite awhile but it's about time to get Abi a new bed because her feet are always hanging off her toddler bed and she usually ends up sleeping in her "kushy" spot which is a bunch of blankets and pillows in a corner of her room on the floor.
It's not really in the budget to buy a super expensive bed though so I'm thinking we may just buy the twin mattress and some cozy sheets and put it on the floor until we can get a really nice one like yours Jen. We thought about buying some cheaper ones right now but I think we would regret it. Theoretically the next bed we buy Abi could last until she moves out. I had my twin bed until I was out of high school.
Anyway, thanks again for the information!

Mamarazzi

NOT a fan of bunk beds...at all. they are great for saving space but having to do the gymnastics to change sheets every week is such a huge pain in the pooper!

i do like a trundle bed though, if you have a space to put the bedding during the day...cuz really only the sheets fit when trying to stow it away under the other bed.

Jen

The trundle bed is another option. We had a friend in Milwaukee who did that for her boys. The trundle was on wheels, so it just rolled back under the higher bed each day. I do like our bunks a lot, but I agree that changing the sheets on the top bunk is a form of art. I try to coax Mike into doing it once in a while because it is a back killer. I've even thought about buying 5 sheet sets for each girl and layering the fitted sheets to just rip off a layer each week...LOL. Obviously, that would be ridiculous. Or is it? I can't remember how much we paid for them, but they weren't cheap. However, we found a good deal on mattresses. I was very surprised at how expensive beds are in general once you add everything up and for 2 kids. Ugh!