CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 30, 2010

That huge sigh of relief you heard was from me

Today was a long day but a great day! I wish I had pictures to share... but I don't. I will be catching up later with some of my picture posts that have happened over the past week or so but for now I have to post about what happened this morning.

After all the turmoil and indecision the past few months over Abi's eyesight we have finally found the right thing!

I have been really feeling that I wanted to go the vision therapy route. I had heard about it but didn't know much about it at first. Then I posted about her getting glasses and my friend Julie mentioned a woman in our ward that had a son that just started it. I was able to talk to her and get a recommendation. We still put it off though. It was a lot of money and wasn't going to be paid for by our insurance so I just thought we'd wait it out awhile. Well, then I got a call about a babysitting job this summer that paid for it. I began to research it more, read a book that Amy told me about and all of a sudden I started feeling peaceful. I knew this was what we were supposed to try.

But, let's go back for a minute to where all the turmoil began. I have mentioned that I was concerned about the bi-focals. What I haven't mentioned is how when she first got them I was sure it was the wrong prescription. It was +400. For someone that the dr said didn't have very bad vision that seemed like a lot. Well, I kept asking. I called and asked about it. I asked on a follow up appt. I was always told it was the right prescription. Just as she had to Abi, she always talked down to us and made me feel like she was offended that we were questioning her. I have felt so much guilt over the past few months not having Abi wear her glasses very much.

So, back to today. One of the first things the new doctor told us was that Abi should not have had +400 nor bi-focals. So, what was the difference? She only needs +75. That's right. That big of a difference. Not only that- she doesn't want Abi to wear the glasses unless it is a day when she is really tired or not feeling well and having a harder time concentrating on keeping her eyes working together.
The appointment was amazing. She was so nice and personable and Abi loved her. She had so much fun. She gave us some tools to use at home with Abi to help her to get her eyes to work together and told us with her mild case that she really believes we will see a difference within the month and she could possibly not have a problem anymore at all in 6 months!

She also tested her developmentally on puzzles, handwriting, and a few other things and told us she is at the level of a six year old right now. That was fun to hear. She said that is not always the case when children have this problem so it surprised her.

She also told me of a few tools that I could get to help her as I do my preschool year with her and where to get them. So, we made a trip to IKEA and got a slanted desktop thing for only a couple of dollars and got a viewfinder at Target for $5.
She also recommended a handwriting book that I just happened to win in giveaway over the weekend. If that isn't providential I don't know what is!

I am so happy. It just felt right. Doug felt it too. She explained everything to us.. had us try everything Abi was trying and watching Abi do things to show us what she meant by certain things. It was such a good experience. For now, she will begin to do the exercises with me every day- one is a card game, one is a coloring/workbook, and one is watching whatever tv show she wants to watch for 20 minutes or so... all using these special glasses and cellophane to make her eyes work together. And that's it.
It was a huge weight and guilt trip lifted off of our shoulders today!

4 comments:

Jocelyn Christensen

Good for you!! What a wise mama!

Katelin

Oh, that's so great! Good for you for not letting that Doctor bully you!

Seth and Julie

I am so happy to hear that this worked out for you. It is frustrating when doctors try to just throw the same band aid on everyone, when we all have totally different needs. How awesome that there are alternatives. Good luck, and keep us posted.

Emma

I am so happy to hear you found something that seems to work and is doable for Abbie. There is nothing more frustrating than doubting a dr. about the things they are saying about your child. It is very hard! Good for you for not giving up. I have fought many doctors.. I don't think there is a problem for standing up for your kids. Who else will.. Hope all goes well for Abbie!!